Seeking Redemption
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semi-realistic, Literate, feline and canine roleplay

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Switch Accounts
Switch Accounts

Latest topics
» The Pack Roleplay
Mating & offspring questions EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 4:23 am by Guest

» Would you Rather?
Mating & offspring questions EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 1:33 am by Shaman Wisp

» Gathering Herbs
Mating & offspring questions EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 1:26 am by Shaman Wisp

» The Shula Region - Pokemon RP
Mating & offspring questions EmptySun Jun 18, 2017 12:21 pm by Guest

» Once Upon a Nightmare (JCK) -- Fairy Tale Horror (3 Years!)
Mating & offspring questions EmptyThu May 25, 2017 10:42 pm by Guest

» INCANDESCENCE | post apocalyptic wolf rp
Mating & offspring questions EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 12:33 pm by Guest

» The Packs Fates *wolf rpg*
Mating & offspring questions EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 1:28 pm by Guest

» Beginning of History || Warrior Cat Roleplay
Mating & offspring questions EmptySun Feb 12, 2017 11:05 am by Guest

» Wild By Heart, A Roleplay
Mating & offspring questions EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 3:37 pm by Firesong

Member Spotlight
Best Relationship
Pack Spotlight
Best Quote
Best Thread
Character Spotlight
Best Pal
Best Gal
Best NB Pal
Election

Mating & offspring questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Perception
Perception

Character Information
Character Size: 95 cms; 25 kgs (55lbs)
Other Characters:
Animal Species: Black Panther

Mating & offspring questions Empty
PostSubject: Mating & offspring questions   Mating & offspring questions EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:25 am

So I have checked out the mating guide, and I know it said "2 canines or 2 felines" - so I presume only felines can breed with one another, and only canines can breed with one another...

However, I'm curious about pairings that do not result in natural hybrids and hybrids breeding with hybrids?

For example:

Bobcat x Lion (https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081113151046AAnSLMj)
Lions are classed as "felines" while bobcats are defined as "lynxes" - the two are in fact different and are very, very, very varied in terms of genetics. There seems conflict as to whether the two can actually breed and produce successful offspring due to the large genetic differences.
Cats in the feline family - Leopard, Panther, Tiger, Lion, Puma, Cougar, can all breed together and create hybrids. However, the majority of them aren't successful (excluding Leopan, Liger, Ligeress, Liguar, etc) because the males are generally always sterile. But, Lynxes and Felines don't really seem to cross-breed? If they do, it seems unsuccessful? And yes - it is cross-breeding as they are different species.

In terms of sterile males because cross-breeding; is this a thing, or? Because the majority of the hybrid pairs, especially those uncommon are because the males are sterile.

Also, what happens to hybrid hybrids. Obviously eventually you'll get to a point where you're making up species and that doesn't really make a great deal of sense and makes image finding super hard. Example: Liguar (Lion x Jaguar) x Leguar (Leopard x Jaguar) you'd get... Lieguar? There's no such thing?

- There just seems some uncertainty with these points. So, I thought I'd ask?
- I've seen on forums before where a mixture of the two species are allowed to be produced. So, for example - Lion x Lynx (the offspring can be either lions or lynxes). In other sites, it's purely the species of the mother.
Back to top Go down
http://grassbeneathmypaws.proboards.com/
Seven
Owner
Owner
Seven

Character Information
Character Size: 99cm
Other Characters: Alayus & Rishi
Animal Species: Dire Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Mating & offspring questions   Mating & offspring questions EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 6:51 am

When we were making the guide it got to the point of were it was completely unrealistic and near impossible in real life, just as you said. We want to still keep the realism here realistic as possible when genetics come into play. When it comes to those two species that you mentioned it is possible, however, A) it will have to be either a lynx or lion and not a mixture of both. This goes to Hybrids as well. For example: if a liger and tigon breed together the offspring with either be a liger or tigon. Not a completely different species. Does that make sense? As of now hybrid males won't be sterile, but this can change in the future. At the moment I am are testing it out to see how members interact with this sort of thing. I hope I answered your question! Genetics are a fickle thing, huh?

As a side note I'm currently working on a genetics guide, however, I want it to be realistic with its own modifications to fit SR. Hopefully this will help out.
Back to top Go down
https://seekingredemption.rpg-board.net
Perception
Perception

Character Information
Other Characters:

PostSubject: Re: Mating & offspring questions   Mating & offspring questions EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 3:19 pm

I see - yes, that makes sense. So the only hybrids that can be produced via "mixed breeding" are the ones on the hybrid list? Right? Thanks for clarifying that! If you need a hand with a genetics guide, let me know! My genetics knowledge is severely tailored to domestic cats, but I'm a relatively quick study.

The table in this URL might provide useful, by the way ~
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera_hybrid
Back to top Go down
Seven
Owner
Owner
Seven

Character Information
Character Size: 99cm
Other Characters: Alayus & Rishi
Animal Species: Dire Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Mating & offspring questions   Mating & offspring questions EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:33 pm

I'll be sure to ask! I'm taking biology and genetics and all that jazz are a personal favorite to me. I'll more than likely be using the knowledge I've gained from school. Thanks for the link! This will prove useful.
Back to top Go down
https://seekingredemption.rpg-board.net
Perception
Perception

Character Information
Other Characters:

PostSubject: Re: Mating & offspring questions   Mating & offspring questions EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Biology and genetics are very fun, I agree! I was thinking of studying it in college. However, the job opportunities just weren't there sadly. And thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mating & offspring questions   Mating & offspring questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Mating & offspring questions
Page 1 of 1